Saturday, December 26, 2009

Gynaecologist accused of giving patient orgasms speaks of court ordeal


Dr Angus Thomson Photo: SWNS
He endured sleepless nights and the trauma of a high profile legal case, before being told by a judge that he left the court without a stain on his character.

But Dr Angus Thomson fears the lurid headlines sparked by the allegations - including that he had given Mrs Giles a "leg-buckling orgasm" - will haunt him and his family forever.

"No matter the fact I was not found guilty, if my kids go on Google, put my name in, they will find headlines in papers from Spain, Portugal, Poland, Japan, China.... all round the world," he said.

One of his greatest concerns for he and his wife, Lucy, is how it will affect their three young children, boys aged seven, nine and ten, once they become old enough to realise the full extent of the claims against him.

"We're not mortally wounded by this, we are big enough to see the bigger picture," he said.

"However, I'd hate to think that in three years' time when the kids are slightly more engaged on the computer that they... the kids haven't had a hard time at school, but we were very concerned about the way it would be portrayed in the media. They essentially know somebody was saying nasty things about me which I guaranteed were not true."

Dr Thomson was investigated and cleared twice over the allegations, but then Mrs Giles sued for £50,000 in damages.

The ordeal has made him think that something must be done to give greater protection to medical staff against vexacious complaints.

The case against him was thin and he was in a strong position. He had already raised concerns about Mrs Giles' behaviour to senior hospital staff - as well as his wife - and he was well-regarded by his colleagues.

This helped the hospital take what might have proved a controversial decision not to suspend him during the investigation by the hospital and a subsequent one by the General Medical Council.

But he fears other doctors in a similar situation who had not flagged up a potential problem and who are perhaps socially awkward, unpopular or who speak English as a second language could be ruined by the suspicions of others.

"People might be thinking badly of them for three years and they might be picking up on every minute thing," he said.

"That puts undue pressure on them and they will start making mistakes.

"There needs to be some attention given to how we record when people make false accusations."

Headlines such as "Dr Orgasmo", treated the claims as a joke, but for Dr Thomson, 40, from Worcester, the prospect of being branded a sex offender has already affected his involvement with his children's primary school.

"A couple of years ago, I gave a talk to the year six kids and they asked me to do it again. I said 'I'd really like to, but I cannot do it.' I said I was busy.

"It was actually because I didn't think it was fair to put the school in a position where some parents might be upset that someone accused of sexual assault was doing this.

"I was really, really upset about not being about to do that."

Similarly, he was in turmoil over becoming a coach at his children's rugby club and whether the Criminal Records Bureau check would flag up the civil court action being taken by Mrs Giles. He also had to inform his children's school of the case.

"I had to go to the head teacher and say 'By the way, I'm in court this week being sued for sexual assault and harassment, will you look after the kids?' That was unspeakably difficult," Dr Thomson said.

"The head teacher is very professional, very approachable and I believe a very good judge of character.

"She said 'Angus, that's absolutely horrible for you, I'm sure it will be fine, good luck.'"

Even after the collapse of the case, the fear of being tarred with guilt by association to one of the most serious allegations against a doctor remains. He worries that patients will draw the wrong conclusion after putting his name in Google.

He was alleged to his sexually assaulted Mrs Giles, supposedly giving her two orgasms in 90 seconds, in the presence of a nurse, who dismissed the idea in court.

Other staff from Droitwich Spa Hospital gave evidence that she only made the complaint after a failed attempt to force Dr Thomson to see her as a patient after he had discharged her.

"These allegations are extremely serious in any walk of life, but in medicine and certainly in gynaecology, it is just monstrous to be accused of these things," he said.

"The last three years have been a real rollercoaster. There have been times when it hasn't been in my mind at all and spells of weeks and even months when it has been all-consuming.

"There have been many episodes of sleepless nights and we are still having sleepless nights.

"The trauma of the courtroom was immense, my wife is still very upset by it.

"I'm healing more quickly than she is because I'm back at work and she's on Christmas holidays with the kids. Whilst I'm getting all the support from colleagues and patients, letters from friends, she's not.

"She is getting some letters, but the support around me has really started to get me through this."

His wife, a GP, stood by him throughout and Dr Thomson said if anything the allegations had brought them closer together.

"My wife had known there was a patient who had been making contact unnecessarily, so although she was as shocked as I was, she's never suggested she had any doubt at all. She's been behind me 100 per cent the whole way," Dr Thomson said.

"I've been very fortunate because this didn't come out of the blue. I didn't have any marital disharmony because of it. I'm sure we would have had if I hadn't already highlighted there was a difficult patient."

Friends and colleagues have also been supportive. Dr Thomson said their house was "like a florists" because of all the flowers sent by well-wishers and he was particularly moved by letters written when the allegations first became public, during the week of the civil court case, before he had been cleared.

Patient-doctor confidentiality had barred the other doctor who was pestered by Mrs Giles from coming forward until the court case was reported by the media and therefore entered the public domain.

And while Mrs Giles was ordered to pay Dr Thomson's court costs of £30,000, unlike in other legal systems he does not have the right to counter-sue.

"I have no interest in personal redress now. I'm not chasing that at all," he said.

"By far the biggest cost personally has been emotional. I've not been to the doctors, I'm not taking sleeping tablets. I'm fit and healthy, just a little bit stressed - I don't think going through another court case would help that.

"But I think the right to redress would be a deterrent against false claims."

Dr Thomson also said some thought should be given to offering anonymity to doctors facing such complaints, although he points out it helped his case as the GP was able to come forward.

Despite his experience, he is still conscious of the need to protect patients, even wondering what would happen if Mrs Giles was to become the victim of medial malpractice in the future.

"I think doctors are always vulnerable to allegations which sometimes are very difficult to prove or disprove, but we also have got to remember that bad things happen to patients and we have got to put a stop to that," Dr Thomson said.

Source:telegraph.co.uk/

In Poland, Santa works year-round


KOSTOWIEC, Poland — He is 76, sports a long white beard, and likes people to call him Santa. For a decade, Pole Romuald Madrakiewicz has criss-crossed his country helping his fellow poor, and not only with seasonal cheer.

"It's Santa! Santa!" yelled a crowd of youngsters at a primary school in Kostowiec, some 30 kilometres (20 miles) from Poland's capital Warsaw.

Dressed from head to toe in red, with a sack on his back, Madrakiewicz strode in.

The marvelling children tugged on his beard: it was real, for sure.

He dipped into his sack, producing sweets and other little gifts which he shared out among them.

But this Santa is not just a giver. He also comes to collect.

The children in Kostowiec had prepared four big parcels, filled with food, sweets, soap, and toys. They were bound for an orphanage in Krosno, in southern Poland.

"Santa gave us the orphanage's address last year, as well as the addresses of several poor families who need help," Zbigniew Reluga, head of the school, told AFP.

"Since then, the children have been doing what they can to help, and Santa comes to see us several times a year," he added.

Madrakiewicz said he aims to teach youngsters what really matters.

"My visits are meant to help them understand that in life you can share everything you have," he explained.


He clearly knows how to spread his message.

"Sometimes the kids even put their favourite mascot in the packet," he said emotionally.

This Santa's real magic is to spread a sense of generosity wherever he goes.

Behind his smile, Madrakiewicz carries a lot of hurt.

A former social worker, he gets by on a tiny pension and doesn't have a real home. He lived in a hostel for the homeless last year, and is now staying with friends.

When he needs money to buy gifts, he sometimes hunts for bottles and scrap metal to swap for petty cash.

"Santa gives out gifts and doesn't expect anything back, and on top of that, he gives everything he's got," Madrakiewicz said, his eyes fired up.

He learned his values in his family home in southeast Poland, and in the Scouts, he explained. "You're a Scout your whole life, and a Scout does a good deed every day," he added.

He has won growing recognition for his work -- in 2007 he was named Poland's volunteer of the year -- and is increasingly in demand.

He receives dozens of letters every day via the office of Homo Mizerus, a magazine for the homeless based in a poor district of Warsaw.

"I get a massive amount of post which I hand over to those who help me, because I simply don't have time to read them all, let alone come to the aid of everyone who needs me. It costs a lot and the parcels have got too heavy for me," he said.

As he grows older, he is looking for a successor.

Turning to the youngsters, he called out: "Who can be Santa?"

"Someone who's kind to other people," replied six-year-old Filip.

"Anyone can be Santa, as long as they know how to share," Madrakiewicz responded.

Source:AFP

European weather deaths pass 100


Soldiers shovel snow in Milan. Photograph: Antonio Calanni/AP

More than 100 people have been killed in the cold snap across Europe, with temperatures plummeting and snowfall causing chaos from Moscow to Milan.

In Poland, where temperatures have dropped to as low as -20C in some areas, police appealed for tip-offs about people spotted lying around outside. At least 42 people, most of them homeless, died over the weekend.

In Ukraine 27 people have frozen to death since the thermometer dropped last week. Authorities in Romania said 11 people had succumbed to the chill, and in the Czech Republic the toll was 12. In Germany, where temperatures have fallen to -33C in certain parts, at least seven people are known to have lost their lives in the freezing weather.

For millions of others across the continent, the cold snap has brought severe disruption, with flight cancellations and traffic jams thwarting pre-Christmas travel plans.

The resumption of Eurostar services brought some relief to passengers travelling between France, Belgium and England, but many trains across Europe were delayed or cancelled.

Airports were struggling to cope with icy runways, with Ryanair and Easyjet among several airlines to cancel some flights.

In Frankfurt, where snowfall prompted delays and cancellations, 3,000 people were forced to spend last night inside the terminals at the city's main airport. "It is totally chaotic today … no one knows what's going on – neither us nor the staff," Dorothee Schaefle, waiting in line, told Die Welt newspaper.

Roads were not exempt from the chaos. After a weekend that brought the heaviest snowfall in about 100 years, Moscow was gridlocked, with tailbacks snailing around the Russian capital.

In Italy, where winters are usually mild, motorways in the north-east were closed and the Ministry of Defence dispatched helicopters in Sicily to bring medical aid to those in need.

In Milan hundreds of soldiers worked through the night to clear the snow- and ice-covered streets.

Source:guardian.co.uk/

Monday, December 7, 2009

Poland Red Baron


FILE - Undated portrait shows Manfred von Richthofen, the most successful German fighter pilot during WW I with 80 downed planes. Manfred von Richthofen, also known as the Red Baron, was killed in aerial combat on April 21, 1918. A Polish historian says he made a surprising find when poring through World War I archives the death certificate of Manfred von Richthofen. Maciej Kowalczyk said Monday Dec. 7, 2009, that he found the file last month while going through old German archives in the western Polish city of Ostrow Wielkopolski.


Source:suomenkuvalehti.fi


Listed in Blogs By Country